Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Sidcup 26 Cobham 3

Report: Saturday November 15th 2014, London South 1

Cobham travelled to Sidcup for this London 1 League match. Following Cobham’s league win against Brighton they were facing a side that promised promotion and were currently second in this very competitive league. This was a stern test and was made even more difficult when on arrival at the ground the Cobham squad were informed that kick off would not be until 4pm and that it would be under minimal floodlight. The delay was due to unforeseen circumstances which meant that the referee, doing his second match of the afternoon, was not available until this time. 

CRFC 151114 a

Eventually the match started on a soft surface made greasy by a recent shower and under a darkening sky with the lighting on. From the kick off Cobham were attacked on all fronts by a very competitive, aggressive and competent side and were confined to stern defence in their own half. The first home score began to seem inevitable and after 8 minutes a clearing kick was charged down by Sidcup leading to a Sidcup scrum from which The Sidcup number 8, John West, drove over the line for try which was converted by Jamie Cutler. (Sidcup 7 Cobham 0)

From the restart Cobham attacked with renewed vigour, good line kicking gaining ground to take play into the Sidcup half. Following a good period of ball retention Cobham were awarded a penalty on the Sidcup 10 yard line. The penalty goal after 18 minutes was  kicked by Charlie Hampton. (Sidcup 7 Cobham 3)

CRFC 151114 b

For the next 20 minutes although play was mainly confined to the Cobham half honours were fairly even. Sidcup’s determined, aggressive and skilful attacking which on most occasions took them beyond the gain line was met by an equally aggressive, determined and skilful  defence. Particular credit in these aspects of play go to Cobham,s back row of Doug Rodman, Dave Baker and Josh Brown. On many occasions good attacking positions were not converted into points. Sidcup’s defence when stretched resorted to giving away penalties in order to prevent the possibility of a Cobham touchdown. It was during this time that two penalty attempts at goal narrowly failed. Although against the run of play Cobham could have been in the lead.

From the restart of the second penalty Sidcup attacked with greater strength  and after a period of sustained pressure on the Cobham goal line following a 5 yard scrum their number 8 Jon West scored their second try which was not converted. (Sidcup 12 Cobham 3)

Sidcup renewed their attacks following this score causing Cobham to defend continuously. The intensity of the attacks inevitably led to mistakes and it was from one of these that Sidcup scored an intercept try by Jamie Cutler shortly before half time which was converted. (Sidcup 19 Cobham 3)

CRFC 151114 c
The second half continued the pattern of play with resourceful thrustful attacks by the Sidcup side which was met by a determined and skilful Cobham defence.    The pressure of defending in their own half inevitably led to breaches of the excellent Cobham defence.  However at times Cobham’s resourceful attacks took play deep into the Sidcup half but did not result in any scores. Sidcup’s defence was stretched to the limit which led to a yellow card for a Sidcup player.

Sidcup’s good play eventually led to Cobham’s defence being breached leading to a converted try by Sam Carmen.

  • Final score Sidcup 26 Cobham 3.

Cobham can take some confidence from this game played wholy under floodlights. They faced a strong Sidcup side which if they continue in this style of play will be strong contenders for promotion this season.