Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

23-03-14 Effingham & Leatherhead A Festival

We all arrived in good time ready for a festival that we really should be aiming to win, and with one of the strongest ,and certainly largest (physically and numerically) squads assembled for some time, particularly up front, with Fabian and Mark Warner slotting in seamlessly. The tent was assembled in record time, and facing the right way, but unfortunately adjacent the wrong pitch (initially). We were placed in the toughest pool, which was probably a good thing. 

v Sutton & Epsom Won 33-0

The first game began well with a Bryn try after a quick tap penalty, converted by tim. Coxy went over in the corner and Zac went over after stealing an opposition lineout close to their line. We weathered some pressure , with the defence outstanding as ever, to go in at half time 21-0 ahead.

Coxy went over again after half time as the ball was moved wide again, and his juggling act completely foxed the cover. Ben then scored again after a great run from Josh and a forward drive. 4 conversions from 5 successful and a comfortable start.

v Reeds Won 14-0

This looked like the toughest group game and it was. The first half was tight but the patience and confidence of the team was great to see. The first score came when Tim burst through after a Millberg inspired forward drive including a neat offload,  and quick ball from Jamie. Will charged down a kick right on the Reeds line but we couldn’t quite capitalize and went into half time 7-0, despite the referee allowing play to go on for 15 minutes! The second half featured the tackle of the day from Lammers, with parents wincing on the sidelines and the ball carrier prone. The kicking game was excellent and Bryn, Lucas and Tim all worked us out of trouble and into the corners of Reeds half. The pack then took over, and after a scrum against the head, and flowing phases Lucas crossed for a second and decisive score.

v Warlingham Won 29-0

The final group game saw the chance to vary things, with Alfie at prop and Will Scrum half, and a modest opposition were always going to be overwhelmed . Lucas scored from the first phase straight from the kick off, but we were denied a conversion after taking “too long” to find the kicking tee. The weather then intervened with a hailstorm making visibility difficult. Bryn and Mossy both crossed over  before half time, both converted by Bryn who by now had found the right sized tee. Will O’Leary almost made it four but was held up just short.

After half time Josh launched an attack from full back and crossed over, and Bryn bagged another after catching his own kick. We therefore cruised into the semi finals as group winners.

Semi Final v Old Reigatians  Won 40- 0

The whole squad was fired up for the knock out stages, and the game was stopped after 6 tries. The pack was too strong and the three quarters continued to pass the ball freely, with Jamie and Lammers setting them off regularly. Jamie Curtis and Fabian were running rampant, and OG’s were struggling to get any ball.

Brownie finished superbly  in the corner for the first try, and Fabian went over before half time, after a relatively slow start.

Pressure on the OG’s  line bright about another Bryn try, and then Anton cut back through from a mazy run for the fourth. The next score came after Bryn caught Lammers’ excellent, hanging 22 drop out, then Zach finished it off, despite temporarily losing his bearings and even threatening a pass once across the goal line, not something he normally does before crossing the line!

Final v Effingham & Leatherhead Won 14-7

The final was against the much improved and fired up hosts. However, the control and patience, and discipline when under pressure saw victory secured in convincing fashion.

The first half was tight but we began to dominate. Rob went on another forward run and the pack began to boss the game, despite getting on the wrong side of the referee. The pressure grew and Sam drove through and the ball was spun out to Anton for the first score converted by Lammers.

In the second half the pack continued to dominate, with Mark and the rest winning the 50/50 balls. Josh Savigar went through after being set up by James Merry and the rest of the back line who were continually going forward, despite spirited defence from Effingham. As the game became stretched we conceded our first and only try of the day, when Effingham found space in front of them in broken play. We finished strongly and could have scored again but for tremendous last ditch defence , and Brownie was inched out in the corner just before the final whistle. A really good game, and a great, dominant performance from the entire squad.

130 points scored, 7 against.

Thanks as always to Karen, Nick and Geoff who kept everyone organized and motivated throughout the day.

Squad: Jamie Curtis, Rob Lewis, Sam Millberg, Joe Moss, Zac O’Connor, Fabian Pountney, Alfie Tann, Mark Warner, Bryn Bradley, Will Brown, Ben Cox, Lucas Elliott, Jamie Harris, Tim Lamming, James Merry, Anton McGroarty, Will O’Leary, Josh Savigar. Coaches Geoff and Nick.


Karen Bradley
Tel: 07813 604482

Head Coach:
Nick Moss
Tel: 07810 813999