Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

1st XV Surrey Shield semi-final

Report of the 1st XV match v Sutton and Epsom on 27 April 2013

Cobham outplayed in Surrey Shield semi-final

Sutton and Epsom 37   Cobham 12


This was Cobham’s final game of the season, a Surrey Shield semi-final away to Sutton and Epsom.  Sutton have just completed a successful league season and were clearly keen to maintain the momentum in the final stages of the Surrey Shield, a cup competition which in recent years has taken second place to the league in many clubs’ priorities.  Cobham found Sutton particularly strong in the forwards but it was the home side’s excellent support play and speed in the three-quarters that stretched the Cobham defence, Sutton running in three tries in the first half (17-0).  Cobham replied just before half time with a try from Adam Watkins (17-7) and just when it appeared that Cobham were in with a good chance, the second half proved to be all Sutton, scoring four tries to a single try from Cobham’s John Tocock (37-7) to seal a deserved win.

Sutton had all the possession in the opening minutes of the game and when Cobham were penalised forced a lineout close to the Cobham line.  With a clean catch and drive the Sutton pack powered their way over the line for a try in the first five minutes (5-0).  Sutton kept up the pressure and despite Cobham’s attempts to respond, ran in a second try soon afterwards, with a pacy counter attacking move from their own 22 to score in the corner  (10-0).  Cobham then came into the game with a series of attacks in the Sutton half and came close to scoring in a fine three-quarter move but the pressure could not be converted into points.  Having withstood the Cobham pressure Sutton increased their lead with another try, again the Sutton backs showing their pace and working the ball along the line to find the overlap to make it 17-0. With only minutes to go to half time Max MacDonald made a break, evading two tacklers, and was able to pass to Adam Watkins who ran in under the posts for Cobham’s first try, converted by Jean-Louis Gravier to make it 17-7 at the break.

Cobham turned around for the second half with the wind at their backs and having reduced the deficit to ten points knew that another score would be vital if they were to compete for victory.  But Sutton soon took control of both territory and possession, Cobham only managing fleeting excursions into the Sutton half.  For twenty minutes the Sutton play stretched the Cobham defence and the home side scored their fourth try from another catch and drive at the lineout to further extend their lead (22-7).  The result was put beyond doubt at the re-start when Sutton ran the ball back through a rather static Cobham defence for their fifth try (27-7), followed soon after by another try to make it 32-7.  The playing conditions changed rapidly with game ending in freezing horizontal rain and Cobham were first to adjust with a spell of good handling, winger John Tocock finding space on the wide outside to sprint in for Cobham’s second try.  Sutton responded with their final try of the game, Charlie Purvis running in to score Sutton’s seventh and seal a convincing win for the home side.

Cobham: Mayer, Gibbons, Nunn, Frost, Jones, Brown, Trepant, Smyth, Kennard, Elbourne, MacDonald, Watkins, Bates, Tocock, Gravier.   


Scores: Tries:-.Watkins(1), Tocock (1)   Conversions :-  Gravier (1)


Cobham v Sutton Surrey Shield semi April 2013


Cobham v Sutton shield semi April 2013