Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

4 from 4 for 1sts

Victory over London Cornish...

London Division 3 South West
London Cornish 3 Cobham 43
29 September 2007

Cobham's second half performance seals victory

The fixture against London Cornish was regarded by many as a performance testing match, as London Cornish had also been promoted into London 3 last season and in their first match last season gave Cobham a difficult game which had resulted in a narrow victory.

Cobham v Cornish

Playing London Cornish for the first time this season Cobham expected an extremely tight game game but managed a good victory with almost total control in the match. In the first half Cobham managed to gain the lead with two tries from Simon Mills and Mark Bennett but in the second half Cobham were in total control, scoring another five tries and notching up another thirty additional points. Despite some team changes the Cobham style of play was at the highest level, the skill and strength of the forwards ensuring solid possession in scrum and lineout, but in the second half the overall impressive fitness of the team gave pace in the moves which Cornish found difficult to defend against.

After Simon Mills scored the first try of the second half the threequarters made three tries with Richie Blackmore and David MacCallum both scoring individually with a penalty try from a threequarter move. The final try was an exceptional effort from prop Tristan Lee whose pace was far quicker than most props and was more reminiscent of when he used to play as a wing forward a couple of seasons ago. Overall Cobham mounted a a good result and as a result of their efforts scored their fourth win in a row with no defeats, very much like their performance of last season and they now continue to lead the league table.

At the start of the match Cobham were quickly in to their stride and after a series of attacks in the London Cornish half were very close to scoring but were held up over the line. With the strong style of play it was just a matter of time before scoring, and after a lineout in the Cornish 22 Cobham set up a driving maul using all their strength to drive over the line, Simon Mills scoring the opening try with David MacCallum converting. Cornish responded with a rare attack deep into the Cobham half but could only achieve a penalty goal which turned out to be their only score of the match.

Cobham then had all the possession of the rest of the first half but initially failed to score a couple of tries as they attacked the Cornish line. However just before half time Cobham scored their second try, attacking close to the opposition line from a lineout. Skipper Billy Davison won the ball cleanly in the lineout and the forwards then put on the drive in a highly coordinated manner that Cornish could not prevent and Mark Bennett scored a try to give Cobham a 3-12 lead at half time.

In the second half Cornish needed to score again early on to prevent Cobham expanding their lead but this the home side failed to do, with Cobham continuing with their series of attacks that stretched the Cornish defence. The initial Cobham move went a full fifty metres from the Cobham 22 and after Cornish were penalised, Cobham had a lineout in the Cornish 22 and Simon Mills scored a second try being driven over by the Cobham pack. Cornish defended well against the next Cobham attack but the attack was renewed when Richie Blackmore chipped ahead to the Cornish line. His pace was faster than the Cornish defenders who realised that a try was inevitable and Blackmore was tackled over the line without possession, and as a result Cobham were awarded a penalty try, a good decision by the referee.

In the next move the Cobham forwards won possession from Cornish and the ball was moved along the threequarter line to Richie Blackmore who shrugged off an attempted tackle and sprinted at speed to score a try. There were a couple of changes in the Cobham team, James Oliver coming on for Tim Green and James Green replacing try scorer Simon Mills, but the defence was still very solid and despite being penalised in front of the posts Cobham defended with vigour to prevent Cornish scoring again. In the final stages of the match it was all Cobham, scoring two more tries to give a forty point victory.

Firstly another pacy attack by the three-quarters gave an opportunity for David MacCallum to find a gap in the Cornish defence and the Cobham fly half sprinted a full fifty metres at pace to score an impressive try. Then in the last move of the match Tristan Lee impressively ran through the Cornish defence to score the final try and the overall Cobham performance in this match was as good as anything seen this season.

Cobham now have a fixture at home next week against Old Tottonians who are in the middle of the table and given the visitor's consistent performance in the past the match should prove to be extremely interesting.

Cobham: N Sutton, R Blackmore, S Burton, T Green, L Bendall ; D MacCallum, M Green; T Lee, M Bennett, A Darroch-Warren, B Davison, M Hahn, S Mills, G Hart, J Davison

Report by Tony Maddocks