Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Nov 9th 2013 - Cobham 3XV `vs London Media (Friendly)

Saturday mornings weather conditions were not ideal for a game but the Rugby Gods looked upon our KO time with kindness and parted the clouds to make may for some much appreciated sunshine and a break from the rain. London Media is a not a team we are accustomed to playing so we did not know what to expect; although based on the size they looked formidable. Mike took us through our usual warm up and there was a real buzz in the squad. Cobham won the toss and elected to kick off.  Being the eve of Remembrance Sunday we all stood on the half way line and rightly observed a minute of silence. 


London Media received the kick off from Ryan McQuade's boot deep in there 22 and they set up for there 10 to clear the ball which was charged down. This was a good start putting pressure on the visitors from the get-go. The first quarter of the match looked promising for Cobham playing with the majority of possession and showing intent at the breakdown. The scrum was also solid despite the visitors sizeable pack, which allowed for Joe and the backs to get some good clean ball. Cobham were however unable to convert on this early dominance and with Media playing in the home teams half converted a penalty to go 3-0 up. Cobham bounced back with some great play by the backs creating some big holes with were fully exploited to put a total of 14 points on the board at half time. The first was scored by Phil Hunt (his 4th of the season) which came from a nicely weighted chip forward which Hunt chased over the line for the score. The 2nd came from a quick tap penalty that was awarded after a sweet play from the backs where Aidan Botten cut back off Ryan to break the gainline. The penalty was taken 10 yards out from the visitors line in the left corner. Quick tap and then hands from Joe down through the backs put Shinya over who finished superbly by fending off two tacklers as he stretched over the line to score.


If you have been following the 3XV this season you will know that being up at the half is a familiar position. Thankfully this week we had a full bench and a quality one at that to choose from. Cobham were determined to maintain the intensity of the 1st half but a lapse in concentration resulted in the visitors slipping through for a sore. Score now 14 to 8 with London Media now playing with a head of stream. Cobham however started to move through the gears and the momentum was firmly with the forwards creating a nice platform for the backs. Arran Liston was making some good runs along with Chris Connelly and Hugh Wilkinson to keep Cobham on the front foot. The front 5 were strong in the scums which Cobham were winning both with and against the head.  After a series of phases, Joe Janea, who was having a belter of a game, slipped though the Media defence to down the ball in the far right corner. Joe Shinya added another try and Cobham seemed to be safe from another come-back by the visitors. The game ended 33 to 8 to Cobahm who had to hold off a big push at the end from Media. Special stand out players of the day are Joe Janeca, Chris Connelly and Ryan McQuade. In truth it was a massive team effort from 1 to 15 and the impact from bench in particular Aaran Cowell made for a fantastic days rugby. Man of the Match goes to Chris Dack who seemed to be involved in every play making massive tackles and setting the tone for our defence.



Starting Line Up:


15 James Mitchell


14 Matt Sanderson


13 Phil Hunt


12 Aidan Botten


11 Dominic Shinya


10 Ryan McQuade


9 Joe Janeca


1 Tom Cullen


2 Ian Snead


3 Arran Liston


4 Chris Connelly


5 Tim Davey


6 Chris Dack


7 Rob Gilroy


8 Hugh Wilkinson



Kevin Langston for Matt Sanderson, James Carter for Aidan Botten, Dave Mardon for Dominic Shinya, Arran Cowell for Ryan McQuade, Tim Grey for Arran Liston, Harry Blackmore for Rob Gilroy Andy Lister for Hugh Wilkinson.


Match Report Editor: Ian Snead