Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

U16 Home Page 10-11

Season 2010-11

To see last season's fixtures page please click here



U16s March 2011

Congratulations to the Under 16’s who beat Richmond 40-19 on Sunday, March 27th, to clinch the Surrey 1 league – they still have one game to play and not only have won all their games but secured maximum bonus points. 


This season promises to be an exciting one for Cobham Under 16s as the boys continue to develop their physical power, technical knowledge and execution of the skills in a friendly and supportive atmosphere.  This season the coaches are keen to move the boys onto a new level and head coach Martin Warner-Green will be using his experience as an ex-captain of Cobham 1st XV and current coach to the Cobham RFC 1st XV to support the boys in their development.  Martin is helped by a team of assistant coaches.  The squad will compete in Surrey League One, where they were runners –up last season .

Our aim is to develop high quality rugby players by teaching them and encouraging a high skill level and playing a running and open game. Some will aspire to a higher level and we were delighted that this year four of our boys were selected for the  Surrey under 16 squad and two have gone on to Divisional Trials.  We are just as keen to develop boys at all levels and to develop future players of the Cobham senior club as well as trying to ensure all the boys enjoy their rugby and develop the lasting friendships and camaraderie that the game engenders. We have the pleasure of being able to use a fantastic clubhouse for social events, entertaining visiting teams and enjoying the true spirit of the game.

Regular match reports appear at the bottom of this page following games and  fixtures give you those key dates.   Manager Tony Morrison keeps everyone updated with a regular weekly e mail update. 

We very much welcome new players (and parents – we’re a family club!!!). If you are interested in playing please feel free to join us for training at 12.00 (boys need to arrive sharply at 11:45) to 14.00 on Sundays and Thursdays from 18:30 to 19:30. Always best to drop us a line first so we can ensure a warm Cobham welcome. 



Richmond 1st XV 19 – 40 Cobham 1st XV



Tries:  Manning(2), Loizias, Radford, Holloway, Hykin

Conversions: Loizias (3), MccGwire, Farrelly

Superb team performance sees Cobham crowned Surrey champions


On a wonderful sunny spring day at Richmond the wait was finally over and Cobham’s all round team performance was too good for a spirited Richmond side. Played eight, won eight, scored 270 points and maximum bonus points in the top flight really is a great tribute to the players, Martin, the coaching team and Stuart Davis for working so long on providing the solid foundations . This season has needed big team performances with the whole squad playing their part and the match against Richmond was no exception as two players had to be spared to play for Surrey Under 17s.

Cobham looked slick in their warm up and carried this attitude immediately into the match. They began with a number of very focussed plays and after only two minutes with some excellent rucking by the forwards the ball was worked to James Manning who deftly danced through the Richmond cover to touch down.  Converted by Tom Farrelly to give Cobham a 7-0 lead. The pressure from Cobham continued with the Cobham pack getting the better of the Richmond pack in the scrums.  After eight minutes with a clean possession from the scrum, neat work by the Cobham halfbacks Jack Spence and Charlie Morrison it was Yanni who inserted the pace and again pierced the Richmond line. Yanni converted his own try and Cobham looked very comfortable at 14-0 up.  This seemed the prompt Richmond needed and they began to fight back and began to put pressure on Cobham. Pressure became points and after 12 minutes they scored in the corner to narrow Cobham’s lead to 14-5.  Cobham stirred again and Sam Smith and Yanni were showing good hands in the backs but small errors just prevented Cobham from turning this into tries. The forwards were certainly in a game but were more mobile than Richmond  and were getting numbers to the breakdown and winning all coaches favourite – quick ball. They gradually worked their way up the field and after 26 minutes it was Will Radford, with the entire forward pack behind him, who touched down. Converted by Yanni to give Cobham a 21-5 lead.  They just couldn’t get away though and immediately from the restart Cobham failed to gather properly and presented Richmond with a soft try to get them back in the game.  It was converted and Richmond were back with a chance at 12-21.  It stayed like this until the half time break with the match finely balanced.  Cobham started the second half much stronger and played some of their finest rugby of the season building platform after platform until Richmond had no defenders left. After eight minutes this pressure told as on the eighth phase the ball was worked to James Manning who sidestepped his way past his opposite man, drew the cover defence and at exactly the right time released Chris Holloway on the wing. Chris sprinted clear and touched down for the crucial bonus point try.  Not converted but the supporters were much more relaxed with the 26-12 lead.  It was all Cobham pressure now as they pinned Richmond down inside their own half with more high quality technical phases of play.  Credit to the front row of Tom Sullivan, Mario and Jake who didn’t give an inch in the scrums on a hard pitch in hot conditions and still managed to beat their Richmond opposite numbers to the breakdowns.  Something had to give and finally it was that man James Manning with pure pace who cut the Richmond defence to ribbons to touch down.  Converted by Tom MccGwire to give Cobham a healthy 33-12 lead.  Cobham’s superior skills, teamwork and fitness now really began to tell and Richmond struggled to gain any possession at all. Pressure had to eventually tell and with Tom White and Elliot Morley just as mobile as the front row and the superb Cobham back row with five minutes to go it was Matt Hykin who scored, with Yanni converting to give Cobham a commanding 40-12 lead. Richmond didn’t give up thought and with their only foray into the Cobham half in the whole match they managed a converted try at the very end.  Final score 40-19 and Cobham were able to celebrate being the undefeated champions of one of the strongest counties in England. Well done to all – let the celebrations begin!

Cobham 36 – 5 Old Reigatians


Tries:  Zakakiotas, Corbisiero, Galuccio, White, Manning, Green

Conversions: Farrelly (3)

Three wins on the bounce and Cobham are in pole position in Surrey League 1.

For the third consecutive Sunday Cobham had a home league fixture.  Could they build on the last two excellent performances and make it a hat trick of wins?  Old Reigatians are a tough side who just pipped Cobham in the league match last season.  Cobham started well and began to build a period of sustained pressure despite some powerful counter rucking by the big aggressive Reigatians pack. Cobham forwards gradually got on top though and with some good work by Lewis Robinson and Nick Mays after six minutes Liam Harper punched some big holes to unload for Mario to dive down under the posts to score (as Liam put it in the bar afterwards – I did all the hard work to give Mario the glory !). Converted by Tom Farrelly to give Cobham a 7-0 lead.  The pattern of the game continued and Cobham began to move smoothly into top gear. After 10 minutes the ball was worked quickly out to the Cobham backs and with some excellent hands and selfless play Oliver Corbisiero touched down in the corner to give Cobham a 12-0 lead. The game carried on in the same fashion but with some uncharacteristic errors by Cobham just preventing them totally dominating a Regiatians team who hardly got into the Cobham half. Finally after 31 minutes with some very quick ruck ball and superb hands it was that man Galucio who touched down (you don’t have to have Mediterranean surname to score for Cobham but it helps!). Converted by Tom Farrelly to give Cobham a comfortable 19-0 half time lead.  The boys must have been on their i pods/facebook at half time as they started the second half asleep.  Confusion from the kick off and some missed tackles allowed Reigatians back in the game as they narrowed the score to 5-19 and had some hope for the first time in the game. Cobham then began to give Reigatians some problems in the line out and Jack Bownes kept sneaking possession at the tail.  Cobham were still under pressure until after nine minutes Elliot Morley intercepted a loose pass to make a break upfield and at last relieve the Cobham defence. This was the cue for Cobham to wake up and after a superb drive by the forwards it was Tom White who made the score after 18 minutes.  Not converted but Cobham were now 24-5 up with a four try bonus point secured.  It was all Cobham now as Reigatians tired and Cobham stepped up the pace. With twenty five minutes gone the neat passing of the Cobham backs put Matias to within one metre of the line (now you may have to sit down at this bit!) and he offloaded a superbly timed pass to James Manning to touch down to give Cobham a comfortable 29-5 lead.  It was all Cobham now but decision making wasn’t quite 100% and a number of opportunities weren’t quite hammered home. In the final play of the game it was Harry Green who gained possession just inside the Reigate 22 and cleverly ignoring the 6 man overlap and with all the coaches shouting “pass” Harry smashed his way through numerous Reigatian defenders to score under the posts.  Converted by Tom Farrelly and Cobham had won 36 -5 to have a superb record of six wins out of six with maximum bonus points – onwards and upwards!

Cobham 1st XV 35 – 20 Dorking


Tries:  Davis, Loizias, Galuccio (2), Rawoo, Green

Penalty: Farrelly

Conversion: Farrelly

Blustery rain threatening the lunchtime kick off on consecutive Sundays on this occasion welcomed our old rivals Dorking to Cobham RFC.  Dorking lying second in the league behind Cobham had narrowly been beaten by Camberley the previous week and looked to be fielding as strong a side as they could muster for the fixture. The size and quality of the Dorking squad certainly focused the Cobham boys in their warm up and it was great to see so many of the whole squad there on match day.

As usual, Sunday morning heralded the normal array of injuries that required some last minute changes to the team.  James Mitchell and James Stringer both reported in with “school sport” injuries that prevented them taking the field.

 Cobham kicked off with the wind behind them to put Dorking immediately under pressure.  Great work at the base from the Cobham forwards sucked in the cover and at the first opportunity scrum half Tom McGwire (making up for months on the injured list) fired the ball out to the backs who then  attacked the Dorking line at pace. Desperate tackling from Dorking stemmed the tide briefly before quick ruck ball found the hard running No 6 Joe Davis in space to crash over in the corner.

A brilliant strike by kicker and inside centre Tom Farrelly made the score 7 -0 within 5 minutes of kick off.

Dorking kicked off and the Cobham boys failed to gather the drop out allowing the ball to bounce and go into touch.  The big Dorking forwards then put pressure on the lineout and their continued pressure finally resulted in a penalty to Dorking in front of the posts 7 – 3.

Cobham’s restart was gathered by Dorking but the Cobham pressure did not let Dorking out of their half and before long a Dorking infringement allowed Farrelly  to call for the kicking tee again. 10 – 3.

From the kick off Dorking had their tails up and big runners were coming from deep to smash into the Cobham defence. In the end the Dorking pressure resulted in a Dorking penalty – missed.

Realising they were on the front foot the Dorking boys kept coming in waves and the penalty count against Cobham continued to rise. A cleverly worked move from broken play saw the Dorking hooker beating a last ditch tackle to slide over in the corner after 25 mins. Unconverted. 10 – 8.

Now it was Cobham’s turn to show what they were made of as time after time a combination of great hands, hard running and quick ruck ball battered the Dorking defence. Once in the “red zone”  Yiannis Loizias spotted a gap, beat the first defender and his pace and power allowed him to crash over with the covering tacklers in tow. Unconverted. 15 – 8


Cobham started the second half the way they finished the first . The intensity and the quality of their play this season combined with good levels of fitness generally reaping dividends as the game goes on. Within 5 minutes of the kick off slick hands and strong running worked Matias Galuccio some space out wide and he needed no second invitation to beat the stretched cover to touch down out wide. Unconverted 20 – 8.

Cobham were now into their stride and with the half back pairing of McGwire and Loizias calling the shots Dorking were kept on the back foot. A scrum in the middle of the field created a great attacking position for the ball to be worked wide where great pace created another score. Unconverted 25 – 8.

However the penalty count against Cobham was keeping Dorking in the hunt. The referee finally lost patience and Conor Wickens the combative no 7 was unfortunate to take a yellow card for the teams indiscretions.  

Dorking took the opportunity to attack the weakened Cobham side creating havoc in their defence and finally got their just reward with a try under the posts. Converted 25 – 15.

The Dorking score stunned the Cobham boys into life and pretty much straight from the kick off some exceptional offloading and straight running took Cobham from well inside their own 22 to the try line with Harry Green touching down out wide. Unconverted 30 -15.

Back to full strength Cobham started to put the squeeze on Dorking and some aggressive defence created great turnover ball which was worked into space for Mathias Galuccio to score touchdown for the sixth try.

Dorking kept fighting to the end which one would expect from such great adversaries and some great driving runs took them to the Cobham line in the final minutes. It was only a matter of time before the tired Cobham bodies allowed Dorking to drive over the line. Unconverted 35 – 20.

A great result for Cobham who are beginning to play 15 man rugby with the same intensity for the full 80 minutes.

Cobham 1st XV 43 – 13 Reeds Weybridge


Tries:  Stringer, Manning, Farrelly, Galuccio, Jacobson

Penalties: Farrelly (4)

Conversions: Farrelly (3)

A game of two halves, but Cobham’s class leaves Reeds gasping.

On a stunning day at Cobham we warmly welcomed our old friends from Reeds. A difficult start for Cobham as the huge Reeds pack dominated the loose play and starved Cobham of any possession. First blood was to Cobham when Reeds infringed after about six minutes. Tom Farrelly sent the ball soaring through the posts to give Cobham an early 3-0 lead. Cobham now looked to have settled well into their stride as shortly afterwards Will Radford took very clean lineout ball and some quick hands by Yanni at last had the Cobham backs moving. Reeds were offside again and Tom Farrelly kicked the penalty from about 30 metres.  Six – Nil to Cobham.  Reeds came back after this and were awarded a penalty of their own after 9 minutes which they duly kicked.  This started a period of sustained Reeds pressure as the Cobham forwards failed to get to the breakdowns in sufficient numbers. The gaps then appeared with all the Reeds possession and with some neat hands they worked a try for the number 6.  It was converted to give Reeds a 10-6 lead after 12 minutes.  Cobham still couldn’t get into the game and the penalty count began to tell. After 18 minutes Reeds were awarded another penalty and stretched their lead to seven points. Further penalties against Cobham followed but none were kicked. Finally after 28 minutes Cobham put together their first fluent passage of play and were awarded with another penalty for Tom Farrelly to kick. 13-9 and Tom F’s superb kicking was keeping Cobham in the game. Cobham now began to get their forwards working more effectively together and a powerful run by Tom Sullivan just failed to get over the line. From the resultant scrum Chris Holloway, who was playing well putting pressure on the back of the Reeds scrum, caused some hurried passing and then a superb charge down by James Stringer left the ball sitting sweetly just behind him and over the Reeds line.  It was all panto now as the Cobham crowd screamed “look behind you”, James did and touched down. Not converted but this try gave Cobham a psychologically crucial lead (14-13) at half time.  The second half was completely different as the large Reeds pack began to tire and the more athletic Cobham forwards were getting to the breakdowns in numbers to secure quick ball. After roughly six minutes (sadly in the excitement the reporter failed to start his stopwatch !) an individual piece of brilliance by James Manning opened the floodgates as he danced his way through the Reeds centres and sprinted to the line to touch down under the posts. Converted by Tom Farrelly. Cobham now had the initiative and were leading 21-13.  This was now top stuff by Cobham as they simply had too much class all over the field for Reeds and after another wonderful piece of handling in the Cobham backs it was that man, Tom Farrelly, who touched down and then converted to give Cobham a 28-13 lead.  All one way traffic now as the Buenos Aires express, Matias, set off on a mazy run. Several pairs of hands later he was there again to touch down for the crucial bonus point try. Converted again to put the game well out of Reeds reach at 35-13. Cobham play was now extremely intelligent as they out thought and out played Reeds. Mixing kicks ahead and passing the Cobham backs were a different class.  The next passage of play was a sense of déjà vu as with the same fixture last season the eagle eyed Reeds touch judge spotted a foot in touch that everyone else had missed to deny a breathtaking Cobham score.  They weren’t finished yet and Sam Jacobson, who tormented the Reeds backs all day, touched down shortly afterwards in the corner. The final act was the same as the first with Tom Farrelly slotting a penalty.  Final score 43-13 to Cobham.  This was a fantastic team effort from all the squad, including those who didn’t play on this occasion, and also to Martin for giving them that bit extra.  Onwards and upwards!!

Cobham 1st XV 27 – 26 Sutton and Epsom 1st XV



Tries:  Green(2), Zakakiotis, Davis

Penalty: Farrelly

Conversions: Farrelly (2)

Last gasp effort from Sutton and Epsom just can’t catch Cobham

Strickly Come Dancing, the X-Factor – No, come to Fairmile Lane on a Sunday morning for tension, drama and yellow cards in plenty! Your weekend fix of excitement. This was a keenly awaited game with school friends on both sides and with Sutton’s superb start to the season fresh in the mind.  Cobham themselves got off to a cracker as Harry Green athletically plucked the Sutton kick off to start a promising Cobham move. This was going to be a tight encounter and the early clashes were fairly even.  Ten minutes in and Cobham were caught offside just outside their 22 metre line. Kicked to give Sutton a 3-0 lead.  Cobham seemed to be continually infringing and any promising moves were snuffed out with a penalty against and on 26 minutes the referee had seen enough and they received their first yellow card of the game. The resultant penalty was kicked to give S & E a 6-0 lead.  Just before halftime Cobham infringed the offside line and Sutton’s kicker obliged again to give them a useful 9-0 lead. Cobham ended the half camped near the Sutton line but just couldn’t score. They didn’t really deserve to be nine points down – but this was a formidable lead for Sutton.  Oranges at half time did the trick as on the restart Liam comfortably took a high kick, set up some quick ball and with a delicate chip ahead from Matias the ball was then quickly worked down the line for Harry Green to score in the corner.  Not converted, but Cobham were back in the game at 5-9.  It was all Cobham now as this time Sutton were infringing too much for the referee’s liking and a Sutton player was sent to the sin bin. It was only a question of time before the quicker Cobham forwards in support of their backs had worked Joe Davis a gap and he stormed over the line to put Cobham in the lead for the first time in the match.  A superb touchline conversion by Tom Farrelly and it was 12-9 to Cobham. The next Cobham attack ending with Sutton trying to run from their own line – it might work for England but it was suicide against Cobham! The Cobham boys quickly engulfed the unfortunate Sutton player and Chris Holloway worked the ball to Mario who managed to steam over for an unconverted try. Fifteen minutes gone in the second half and Cobham had scored 17 points.  Yellow cards came thick and fast, so thick and fast that I didn’t note them all down – but in total I think Cobham got 3 and Sutton 2.  Twenty minutes gone and Sutton slotted a penalty which was swiftly pulled back as two minutes later Tom Farrelly restored Cobham’s lead to 20-12 with a well taken penalty for Cobham.  Sutton seemed to wake up now and began their fightback. Their big winger had the ball and crashed his way through (Zakakiotis style!) to bring Sutton back in the game at 17-20.  Converted to give Cobham a flimsy one point advantage.  Half an hour gone and after a further yellow card offence by Sutton it was Harry Green again who was in space and touched down in the corner, crucially converted by Tom Farrelly to give our Fairmile heroes a 27-19 lead and a four try league bonus point.  Game over ?  No !   Sutton fought their way back and managed to cross the Cobham line in the final play for a converted try to end the match. Cobham had won 27-26 and we could all breathe again. This was a tough one – but credit to the boys as they dug in and overall deserved their victory.

Camberley 1st XV 3 – 48 Cobham 1st XV



Tries:  Jacobson(3), Zakakiotis(2), Manning, Farrelly

Penalty: Farrelly

Conversions: Farrelly (5)

Thumping win for Cobham against a spirited Camberley side.

On a bright, but slightly chill day at Camberley the Cobham boys appeared to be dazed as they entered the field – had they woken up yet?  Early encounters were fairly even before Cobham were penalised just outside their 22 metre line.  Kicked by Camberley to give them a 3-0 lead.  This was the cue for Cobham to wake up and the backs began to buzz with quick, clean possession from the forwards.  After five minutes some exquisite passing worked James Stringer clear but he was just held up in the corner.  The pressure continued and after eight minutes, with a finely judged kick through from Yanni, the race was on and Sam Jacobson led the charge to touch down for an unconverted try. Cobham were in the lead at 5-3.  Cobham really were on top now and the forwards began to dominate and with ten minutes gone they drove the big Camberley pack off the ball and a sharp James Mitchell spotted a blind side gap and went for it, very nearly making the line.  Cobham pressure was intense now and Mario managed to get his hand on the ball with a bit of space with the line beckoning, it was no contest and Tom Farrelly converted the inevitable try to give Cobham a deserved 12-3 lead. The only black spot was that the penalty count against began to mount - not helped by some back chat to the referee which sent them back another 10 metres on 3 occasions.  Cobham needed another spark and this came from the genius that is James Manning – he ducked, he dived, he weaved and the he was through the Camberley defence from 30 metres out to sprint and touch down under the posts to give Tom Farrelly a straight forward conversion and Cobham a 19-3 lead as they went into half time.  Wise words from Martin W-G at half time and the indiscipline was reduced as Cobham came out of the blocks all cylinders firing. Connor “Richie McCaw” Wickens was outstanding in loose and the backs were playing at their very best.  Five minutes into the second half with some quick ball and quicker hands and Cobham had worked the Barnes flyer, Sam Jacobson, into space and he out sprinted the defence to score Cobhams’s fourth and bonus point try – converted yet again by Tom Farrelly.  Cobham were comfortable at 26-3.  The penalty continued to mount against them though and this was just enough to break up their cohesion.  After thirteen  minutes Cobham were awarded a penalty themselves and to keep momentum they decided to kick it – the ever reliable boot of Tom Farrelly of course  and Cobham had a 29-3 lead.  The next passage of play was sheer magic, Yanni – who played a blinder all day, went on a mazy but subtle run, varying his pace before blitzing through the Camberley defence.  Sam Jacobson was screaming for a pass on the inside and Yanni timed his pass to perfection as Sam steamed over the line for his hat trick.  Converted again by Tom Farrelly and Cobham were very comfortable 36-3 leaders.  It was all Cobham now and Camberley fell foul of the referee for back chat. “Super” Mario was again on hand as he went on a barnstorming run, bouncing off the ground and opposition players alike to crash over giving Cobham a 41-3 lead – need I say, converted by Tom Farrelly and it was 43-3.  Two minutes later there was a roar from the sideline as a rampaging juggernaut in the form of Jake Kent stormed towards the line but was just held up short.   The last “hurrah” was from Tom Farrelly who after fierce Cobham pressure was worked clear to touch down in the corner.  Not converted to give a final score of 48-3. Wow !  Credit to Camberley who stuck at it and fought to the very end, but it was an absolutely stunning team performance by Cobham who are really looking like a team who are unselfish, play and put their bodies on the line for each other – more Portsmouth tours needed maybe  ? 

Chobham 1st XV 10 – 22 Cobham 1st XV



Tries:  Galuccio (3), Jacobson

Conversion: Farrelly


Crucial bonus point win in early season table top clash.

Last season Cobham narrowly lost a tight encounter with Chobham and they were determined not to stage a repeat in the first league match of the 2010/2011 season. Cobham kicked off in “Indian Summer” conditions and the first battles were fairly even.  After 5 minutes some indiscipline by the Cobham forwards led to not just a penalty, but a further 10 ten metres sanction, allowing Chobham’s impressive kicker to slot the kick over from just inside the Cobham half – a sense of “déjà –vu” from last season gripped the spectators !  This seemed to be the wakeup call Cobham needed and after some clean ball by the forwards and intelligent running from James Manning it was business as usual as Matias,  Guscottesque-like, slipped up the gears to cruise over for a try. Not converted, but with 8 minutes gone it was 5-3 to Cobham. The Barnes flyer, Sam Jacobson, was not to be outdone and began to become a handful for the troubled Chobham backs – 15 minutes gone and it seemed all Cobham as the forwards began to secure more and more possession.  The team were playing well but just made small errors at the crucial moment and were unable to turn their dominance into points. Surely it was only a question of time before they scored again and after 26 minutes with the line out working like well oiled machine and the scrums as solid as a rock the ball was swiftly worked through the centres to find the on form Sam Jacobson who had far too much gas for Chobham and scored near the posts. Converted by Tom Farrelly it gave Cobham a more respectable 12-3 lead.  This was the cue for Yanni to begin to dominate at fly half and with a superb run and brilliantly un-selfish delayed pass he put that man Galuccio into space and need I say more!  17-3 to Cobham.  As the teams turned around at half time Cobham looked set to really step up in the second half.  Chobham are a good side and didn’t push Cobham all the way last season for nothing.  Yanni started where he left off and a soaring spiral kick immediately put Chobham under pressure. With new boy Sam Smith solid in defence and attack Cobham continued to dominate but just couldn’t turn the pressure into points – all credit to the plucky defence from Chobham.  Finally after 21 minutes, with both Liam and Mario showing strongly in loose, the ball was yet again worked swiftly out to Matias who needed no second invitation to touch down – 22-3 to Cobham, bonus point gained and game over.  Chobham’s heads didn’t drop though and they finished strongly scoring a converted try under the posts to end the game 22-10 at full time.  Overall for Cobham a job well done with the whole squad playing their part (including the replacements who didn’t get on and the “crocks” who were prepared to do so if duty called).  A good start.


Team Manager:
Tony Morrison
Tel: 07703 533981

Head Coach:
Martin Warner-Green