Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

U17 Home Page

Season 2011/12

  • Registration for the 2011-12 season is open, for further information please click here
  • To view last season's U16 information please click here



U16s March 2011

After last season's success as the unbeaten Surrey 1 Champions (winning all their matches) this season promises to be an exciting one for Cobham Under 17s as the team enters the National Under 17 Cup as the Surrey representatives.  The coaches are keen to move the boys onto a new level and head coach Martin Warner-Green will be using his experience as an ex-captain of Cobham 1st XV and current coach to the Cobham RFC 1st XV to support the boys in their development.    The squad will continue to compete in Surrey League One.

The aim is to develop high quality rugby players by teaching them and encouraging a high skill level and playing a running and open game. Some will aspire to a higher level and we were delighted that last year four of our boys were selected for the  Surrey Under 16 squad and two were also selected for last season's Under 17 squad. Two boys also attended last season's Divisional Trials.  We are just as keen to develop boys at all levels and to develop future players of the Cobham senior club as well as trying to ensure all the boys enjoy their rugby and develop the lasting friendships and camaraderie that the game engenders. We have the pleasure of being able to use a fantastic clubhouse for social events, entertaining visiting teams and enjoying the true spirit of the game.

Regular match reports appear at the bottom of this page following games and  fixtures give you those key dates.   Manager Tony Morrison keeps everyone updated with a regular weekly e mail update. 

We very much welcome new players (and parents – we’re a family club!!!). If you are interested in playing please feel free to join us for training at 12.00 (boys need to arrive sharply at 11:45) to 14.00 on Sundays and midweek Tuesdays and Thursdays from 18:30 to 19:30. Always best to drop us a line first so we can ensure a warm Cobham welcome. 

Match Reports

Sutton & Epsom 8 – 36 Cobham

Surrey League Division 1



Tries:  Loizias, Smith, Morrison, Johnson, Manning, Wickens

Conversions: Loizias, Morrison, Rawoo

Cobham finally romp home in end of season “classic”!

The final league game of the season saw Cobham face old friends Sutton and Epsom. An odd game that never caught alight. Early encounters were fairly even with both sides unable to take advantage of penalties awarded. Cobham finally got ahead as James Manning broke the line and sprinted clear, when he was caught the ball was deftly worked to Yanni who cruised into the corner to give Cobham a 5-0 lead. Not converted. Immediately from the re-start it was Cobham again as the ball was quickly worked down the line for Sam Smith who powered his way over to score – again not converted but now 10-0. Would the floodgates open – sadly not!  Credit to Sutton as they now dominated the next twenty minutes of play and scored an unconverted try and a penalty to bring them back into the games at 10-8. Just before half time Cobham finally got some possession and a great break by Sam Smith put Charlie Morrison clear to sprint to the line. Yanni converted and Cobham went in 17-8 at half time.  I only wrote one word for the first 15 minutes of the second half (it was scrappy!)– but there was some magnificent defence by the Cobham boys who wouldn’t let Sutton score.  Suddenly after 22 minutes Cobham upped a gear and James Manning made a break to out sprint the defence and score.  Charlie Morrison converted and it was 24-8 with Cobham gaining a crucial (although we don’t exactly know why yet) fourth try bonus point. Finally it was all Cobham and our new speedy winger (former prop Jack Johnson) sprinted nearly a yard to score with an Ashton like leap. 29-8 – but not converted. The final play was pure poetry as Yanni skinned the defence to cross the line......and then pass to Conor Wickens to make it 34-8. Rechard Rawoo converted and the final score was 36-8. A great end to the game and the season. 

Cobham 44 – 13 Havant

National Cup Round 2



Tries:  Green, Loizias(2), Sullivan, Rawoo(2), Spence

Penalty: Farrelly

Conversions: Farrelly(3)

Plucky Hampshire champions can’t stop a determined Cobham

Second round of the National Cup brought a bright afternoon to Cobham for the visit of the Hampshire champions, Havant.  Cobham started with real focus (no doubt helped by the dubstep – Tony will be able to explain!) against a very physical Havant side. After two minutes some very good hands followed a great scrum and Harry Green was able to bulldozer his way over the line to give Cobham an early lead. Converted by the reliable boot of Tom Farrelly and Cobham were 7-0 up.  Havant fought back and after seven minutes were awarded a penalty – not converted.  The Cobham forwards were matching the Havant lads and after 14 minutes following an excellent maul, quick ball and kick ahead it was Yanni who collected, sprinted clear and touched down, 12-0 to Cobham.  Havant weren’t in the mood to give in and began to dominate territory, the Cobham defence held but eventually Havant got themselves back into the game with an unconverted try.  After 21 minutes it was a case of déjà-vu as another powerful Cobham drive in the loose, silk like hands from Sam Smith and James Manning and it was Yanni sprinting clear again to increase Cobham’s grip on the match at 17-5. Tom Farrelly converted and the spectators could finally breathe out as Cobham led 19-5.  The penalty count was increasing with both sides offending and penalties were swapped (Tom F for Cobham) to bring the half time score to 22-8. Cobham began the second half at a rate of knots and after a missed penalty that Havant failed to clear effectively the Cobham forwards pounced. Some great work by Will Radford and Harry Green and it was then Tom Sullivan who touched down. Cobham were building a big lead at 29-8 with Tom Farrelly’s conversion.  Cobham scented victory as Havant continually found it difficult to live with the clever Cobham kicks. Thirteen minutes into the second half it was Rechard Rawoo who caught a loose ball and had too much pace for the defenders to touch down in the corner, not converted but 34-8 to Cobham.  This score heralded a period of sustained Havant pressure with magnificent defence by the Cobham boys, James Mitchell in particular putting in some big hits.  They didn’t yield and eventually broke out and continued the pattern of punishing any Havant mistakes with Jack Spence finishing a well worked try to make the score 39-8.  To Havant’s credit they didn’t give up and came back to score a well deserved try.  Cobham then dominated the last phases and Rechard again outsprinted the defence to score in the corner. Cobham progress to the Divisional Cup Final with a 44-13 win and are in the last eight of the best teams England. A tough game, well battled by Havant, but Cobham had just a bit too much fire power.


Cobham 29 – 6 Old Elthamians

National Cup Round 1



Tries:  Spence, Manning, MccGwire, Kent

Penalties: Farrelly

Conversions: Farrelly(3)

Strong Cobham performance sees off the Kent champions

Following Friday’s declaration of drought in the South East, Sunday morning presented torrential rain all day – the ideal conditions for Cobham’s forward orientated game. Cobham’s first fixture with Old Elthamians produced an initially very tight game with difficult handling conditions.  Cobham were just shading the first ten minutes with the Cobham pack having the edge on the OE’s. After 12 minutes, and largely against the run of play, Old Elthamians were awarded a penalty which they kicked to give them a 3-0 lead.  Cobham pressed back but were unable to get on the score sheet. After 20 minutes Chris Holloway put pressure on the Eltham scrum half following an away scrum and with the turnover ball beautifully worked down the Cobham line it was Jack Spence in the corner who gave Cobham the lead at 5-0. Not converted.  This heralded a long period of Cobham pressure as they used the conditions to their advantage.  After 24 minutes Cobham kicked ahead, the Eltham full back fumbled and from the resultant Cobham scrum, quick ball was passed to James Manning who danced over the line to increase Cobham’s lead to 10-3, Tom Farrelly converted and suddenly Cobham looked comfortable at 12-3.  OE’s weren’t finished yet and fought back to gain a penalty just before half time, this was converted to make the score 12-6 to Cobham at the break.  Cobham began the second half strongly and were awarded a penalty following some great pressure – converted by Tom Farrelly to increase Cobham’s lead to 15-6.  Then came the turning point of the match as Tom Farrelly cleverly charged down an Eltham clearance, Tom MccGwire collected the loose ball and slid over the line to give Cobham a 20-6 lead.  Converted again by Tom Farrelly and Cobham were comfortable at 22-6.  It was all Cobham now and the final hurrah was for the front row, who had smelt the burger van, firstly a powerful run by Mario and then a slipped pass to Jake Kent – big Jake wasn’t to be stopped and took several Eltham players with him over the line to give Cobham a 27-6 lead.  Tom Farrelly converted and Cobham were through the first round of the National Cup with a 29-6 win.  The match was a credit to both teams who played the highest quality rugby in extremely difficult conditions. Next up for Cobham is Havant RFC at home in Round 2.


KCS 19 – 23 Cobham (Surrey U17 Division 1)



Tries:  Loizias, Rawoo, Morrison

Penalties: Loizias, Farrelly

Conversions: Smith

Cobham hang on to clinch a narrow victory

In the second league game of the season Cobham faced a big and determined looking KCS side who had just been promoted back into the top division. Things were fairly even for the first ten minutes before some great hands by the Cobham backs and then a line break by James Manning set up Yanni for Cobham’s first try.  Not converted.  Three minutes later KCS were awarded a penalty for Cobham hands in the ruck.  KCS were back in the game at 5-3.  After 16 minutes Cobham turned up the heat and with Charlie Morrison sidestepping his way around the KCS defenders and Chris Holloway harassing the scrum half the Cobham pressure told and they were awarded a penalty.  Kicked by Yanni to increase the lead to 8-3.  The Cobham pressure continued to build and after another good scrum the ball was cleverly worked down the line to Rechard Rawoo who really turned on the gas and sprinted to the line from about 45 metres to give Cobham a 13-3 lead.  It was all Cobham pressure now and Charlie Morrison again sidestepped his way through the Kings defence to touch down and increase Cobham’s lead to 18-3. Sam Smith converted and Cobham were coasting at 20-3. Just before half time KCS were awarded another penalty to give them some hope as they kicked it to close the gap to 20-6. As Martin said after the match “Brian, it was a game of two halves” and indeed it was. Cobham began by immediately conceding a penalty, kicked to make it 20-9, and then from the restart they infringed again and this time, as well as a penalty, they suffered a yellow card, the penalty was kicked and KCS had the momentum at 20-12. Cobham remained under pressure and after 15 minutes KCS scored a well deserved try which they converted to narrow the gap to a nailbiting 20-19.  Good teams dig in though, and with the front row leading the way with some thunderous scrums Cobham began to get the initiative back. It was all Cobham now and finally they were awarded a penalty in the last minute. The reliable boot of Tom Farrelly kicked it and Cobham had won 23-19.  Not a vintage performance by Cobham but credit to Kings who gave the boys one of the toughest tests over the last two years.

Next up Reeds!!!

Cobham  35 – 8 Dorking (Surrey Under 17 Division 1)



Tries:  Loizias(2), Spence, Smith

Penalties: Farrelly(3)

Conversions: Farrelly (3)

Champions start with a bonus point win

The 2010/2011Surrey Champions took to the field for their first competitive fixture of 2011/2012.  Early exchanges were fairly even with a determined looking Dorking looking to topple the champions.  After six minutes, following some excellent linking between forwards and backs, the Cobham pressure told and they were awarded a penalty. A soaring kick by Tom Farrelly made it 3-0 to Cobham. Five minutes later Dorking responded and were awarded a penalty of own – made easier by some Cobham backchat. Not kicked.  Shortly afterwards Cobham won the penalty ping pong and again Farrelly converted to give a 6-0 lead.  Dorking missed another kickable penalty and then against the run of play Jack Spence broke through the Dorking line and had too much gas for the chasing backs.  He touched down under the posts and with Tom ‘Nick Evans’Farrelly converting it was now a comfortable 13-0 lead for Cobham.  Cobham got really into gear now with some excellent kicks behind the Dorking defence putting them under severe pressure. Sam Smith got on the end of one of these and with the inevitable Farrelly conversion it was now 20-0.  Three minutes later both sides exchanged penalties to give Cobham a 23-3 lead at half time.  The second half was quite scrappy with Dorking trying to get back into the game and Cobham squandering a number of chances. After 15 minutes in a well worked Cobham move from a line out Yanni touched down in the corner.  Not converted.  Ten minutes later Dorking finally turned possession into points and scored a well deserved unconverted try. 28-8. Cobham had the final say just at the end as Yanni danced his way over the line for a crucial fourth bonus point try.  Tom F converted and the final score was 35-8.

Let the season begin!!!


Team Manager:
Tony Morrison
Tel: 07703 533981

Head Coach:
Martin Warner-Green